Expat living

Being an expat in a large city affords one many luxuries that you would not necessarily experience staying in a small village that many assume is typical African living.  This includes the opportunity to meet lots of people in social settings and not have to sit at home watching bad Kenyan tellie every evening.  Fortunately early in my African adventure I discovered a fabulous facebook group, Nairobi Expat Social, that I joined and met many of my new friends while doing fun things around Nairobi.  However, the downside to expat living is that many people come for volunteer opportunities and short term assignments so there is a constant turnover in your friend base.  Sadly, the process has already begun; a couple of my new friends have already headed home, but before they left we had one last fabulous weekend hanging out in true NES style.  Here are some pics from our send off weekend for Mia and Richard.

 Friday at Gipsy's, cheers to Mia!  (Guess what's in the Nakumatt bag)
Saturday at Brew Bistro, Katie loves hanging with us!
Richard: You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when I met Jon, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Jon joined in later.
And we're the three best friends that anyone could ever have!
Who wouldn't love this face?  Katie sang, shadow danced, and provided much entertainment after our escapades at Brew Bistro and Casablanca.
Sunday dinner at Fusion.  Kudos to Richard for finding the best samosas in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment